Hi, I’m Nathan.
Intrinsically motivated designer.
Over 20 years in print, web, app, game, product, experience, system, brand, story, organisation, and culture design.
Creative, empathetic, entrepreneurial — practising disciplined innovation with child-like curiosity.
Currently, Director of Learning at IDEO. Helping enable change through design and creativity.
Previously, Head of Design at Disney Interactive Labs, founder of a small design studio in Tokyo, co-founder of an online education startup, and designer with in-house teams and agencies in Tokyo, London, and Auckland.
I’m active on Twitter, Medium, and LinkedIn.
- Building Empathy Among Distributed Teams
- Responsive Web Design: A New Mindset
- The Importance of Context
I enjoy playing records with friends at intimate gatherings, some of which is on Mixcloud.
I enjoy participating in a thriving design community of students, professionals, and industry leaders.
- Guest — The Bureau Briefing Podcast, Dec 2018
- Mentor — Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, Sep–Nov 2016
- Subject Matter Expert — Coursera, Los Angeles, Jul–Sep 2016
- Panel Member — InVision Design+ Ethics, London, Apr 2016
- Speaker — USC Founders Dinner, Los Angeles, Mar 2016
If you’d like to chat, feel free to send me an email.
“A little girl was in a drawing lesson. She was six. The teacher said this girl hardly ever paid attention, and in this drawing lesson, she did. The teacher was fascinated. She went over to her and said, ‘What are you drawing?’ The girl said, ‘I’m drawing a picture of God.’ The teacher said, ‘But nobody knows what God looks like.’ The girl said, ‘They will in a minute.’”— Sir Ken Robinson, Do Schools Kill Creativity?